Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Spring Cleaning: The Random Things In The Couch Edition

 Now that spring has finally (!) sprung for the US's eastern side, everyone seems to be digging through closets and under beds and doing a spring clean. I even ventured into the back seat of my car.

One of the issues we have when digging out of clutter is that some items just aren't worth donating. My child's collection of puzzle pieces, forgotten game tokens, and individual playing cards that match absolutely nothing else have nowhere to go but the trash bin. I recycle what appears to be recyclable, sometimes to wails of "Noooo, that's a treasure!" Sigh.

Thankfully Toms of Maine has an idea. And that idea is to send you a bin to challenge you and your kids to recycle all those weird bits from the sofa cushions.


Toms of Maine Challenges Families to Recycle Broken Toys

I decided to sign up and order one of these boxes. The site says, "The boxes come with a prepaid shipping label for an easy return process once full. Everything from dolls to board game pieces can be placed in the box and shipped to TerraCycle free of charge." What's better than recycling? For free? And they'll take the LEGO man with no head? Or the holiday thing that makes a creepy noise because you can't replace the battery but it's dying a slow, and did I mention creepy, death?

When the box arrives, wish me luck. My daughter can play with anything, but she's also all about being kind to the earth. She wants to be an organic farmer someday. I am hopeful this will help get those unwanted, unused but undonatable miscellaneous things out of our home. Begone and have new life as a picnic table!

No comments:

Post a Comment